Saturday 18 June 2011

Banana Curry Experiment





This is a bit of an experiment., on the BBC show they ran a section on the banana and they mentioned banana curry, so I set about hunting out the recipe. Here is what I found. The Greek yogurt is a substitute for coconut milk because coconut milk is very high in fat.
             

5 green bananas (serves four)
2-3 tbsp vegetable oil
One average onion
One tbsp curry paste
400 ml Greek yogurt
100g desiccated coconut.
Squeeze of lemon


Firstly slice the green skinned bananas into slices about half the thickness of a thumb. Pour the vegetable oil into a NONE STICK pan. I forgot and it was a fiddle.


Then heat the oil in a deep frying pan and fry the banana slices one banana at a time until a light brown crispy colour on each side. The take the bananas out the pan and drain on some kitchen paper (or a tea towel if you've run out ). Repeat until you’ve done five bananas.  


Finely chop an average sized onion, I used half of the monster one in the ingredients photograph. Then add the onion to the pan and cook for around ten minutes until softened.


Put the wild rice on now as it takes about eighteen minutes to cook. Throw a hand full of coconut in there to give it a slightly fragrant undertone.


Put the banana slices to the pan and stir in the coconut into the pan as well. Then add the curry paste or powder. Then cook for another ten minutes. It should smell like a sweet onion baji.


To finish just spoon over Greek yogurt and simmer until the mixture thickens and the bananas break down a little. A squeeze of lemon over the top and you are done. I think it would be nice with chicken but this was my first time trying out this recipe so I followed the book.  I kind of looks like baby food but it is actually very tasty.  I’d probably add a bit of chopped ginger next time to break down the richness a little.  My family had the left overs with chicken when they got in and loved it.



Yours
Belinda Stepford
xxx

1 comment:

  1. Hmm.. This looks really good! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe! :)
    Thank you also for your sweet comment on my blog! I loved hearing from you!
    xoxo from Germany,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete